Christian Diaz

Christian Diaz

Access Control

About the Project

A user, roles & permissions management app for an internal suite of tools.

Company

Wizeline

Client

Fox CPE

Disclaimer

To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study. The information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of Wizeline or Fox.


The Challenge

Fox CPE is the digital consumer products area of Fox, the global entertainment enterprise. They have been using many third party tools, technologies and services for the las ten years, which are not scalable for the long run. The challenged I faced was to design and implement the foundations for a Design System, at the same time that I designed a couple of internal tools that were urgent, and that will be used as references for more potential tools to be build.


 

Design Strategy

Technical requirements were set in place, but more things needed to be discovered before ideation and execution. I designed a strategy that consisted of the following workshops & artifacts:

  • Experience Canvas
  • User Story Mapping
  • Users, Roles and Permissions diagram
  • Ideation workshop
  • Wireframes
  • Concept testing
  • High fidelity mockups
  • Interactive Design Prototype

 


Discovery Phase

The first thing that I noticed was that stakeholders had a different ideas about how success would look like for this project, so I facilitated an Experience Canvas workshop. They were able to ideate, discuss and agree about the project vision, problems to be solved, minimum viable experience and success criteria.

Since technical requirements were already set in place, I facilitated a User Story Mapping workshop with the stakeholders to prioritize features and tasks that the user needed to do. Along with that process, we discovered that the logic of users, roles and permissions was not fully defined, so I created a first approach of a hierarchy diagram that I validated and iterated with stakeholders and technical people.

Finally, I facilitated an ideation workshop in which members of our team were able to sketch some potential solutions for this tool. Its worth noticing that the team was integrated by designers, stakeholders, engineers and Project managers so it was very insightful to learn what everyone was picturing as a solution for this tool.


 

Ideation & Execution

After the discovery phase, I created a first approach to a potential solution, based on all the technical, business and user information collected up to that point. It’s worth to mention that, prior to this tool, I helped to create a foundation of a Design System, to which I contributed with some research and designed some components. One of the requirements for this tool was to consider interactions, styles, layouts and paradigms that would be part of that Design System, so the first wireframes were designed also with that in mind.

The first round of testing was successful, with a lot of positive feedback about how this tool was making easier to manager users and permission across the full platform. There was some feedback about interactions and content, so I iterated & tested again a couple of times with both users and stakeholders (who were also going to be users).

After that, I moved onto creating high fidelity mockups and an interactive prototype that I was able to test with users. They were delighted and excited about how easy it was for them to do very complex tasks, mostly praising how easy it was to go from the most particular (set a permission) to the most general (assign a group of roles to a particular user).

I had the chance to do an online demo of the prototype to the full CPE department (70+ people) and more positive feedback came from other teams and areas.


Outcomes & Achievements

Access Control was a very important project for Fox CPE, since it was going to be the first tool that would not only set the foundations for developing many more in the future, but also to showcase the potential of the Design System that I contributed to build. For me, it was very challenging to understand and then, iterate the technical logic behind this, because it required a lot of communication between me, developers, users and stakeholders. Fortunately, I was able to design an experience that they found valuable, easy to use, and that above all, was very fun to use!

Most of the interactions that are showcased in this video were added to the Design System, and reused for many other tools. Over time, these components proved to be flexible enough for almost any scenario that might happen, and since the interaction paradigm is very similar, there’s a strong sense of familiarity and less to learn for new and existing users across different tools.