I had the chance to work with one of the biggest drilling companies in the world as a Delivery Owner for iTexico. My tasks included being Project Manager, Scrum Master, team manager, UX Lead and Design Lead.
To comply with my non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study. The information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of iTexico
This company was a potential client when they visited the iTexico offices in Guadalajara. I had the chance to talk to them about our Design process and they decided to work with us, so the company sent me to close the deal onsite.
I used this opportunity to know better about their company, processes, products, users and what was what they were looking for. Turns out they never had a design person on their IT department, so all of their products lacked of good practices, branding and an optimal user experience.
When I came back, the company assigned me as a Delivery Owner for this client, which means that I was going to lead a multidisciplinary team to deliver the best quality for the client needs. My tasks included:
We started the project as an extended team for the client, they assigned us to work in a new feature for the dashboard that was their main product. Inside their company, they had multiple projects running at the same time, each one with a different internal team. My job was to build the design guidelines, so all of their products had an optimal user experience and visual consistency.
I started by creating a ser of common components with similar visual style, but then I realized that it wasn’t going to be enough. So I took a look at the Dashboard, which was the main product for the company, and proposed a redesign that improved the user experience and the visual interface. The client thought that it was a good idea to start by implementing this redesign on their main product, so they went ahead with the implementation.
Once this was tested with the users, I decided to start building what turned out to be the first steps of a Design System.
At the same time, I was managing the project that they give us to develop. It was a new section in the dashboard that was going to be used by internal people at the company, but it was very important for it to be validated with them, because it contained a lot of technical information.
We started by doing a research of the tools that they used. There were a couple of Windows apps from third party developers that got the job done, but it represented more work for the users. So we, as a design team, conducted a lot of interviews and detected the main features that should be present, but most important, the processes that we could improve for the users to save time.
I identified the user stories, the epics and we used the agile methodology along with the devs and QA. So we started building this new feature one epic at a time, designing and validating, then delivery to development, and then the QA in a two-week sprint basis.
As we made progress with the Reports feature, I found more and more elements in common with other apps and projects from the client’s company. So what started as a Design Guidelines document, evolved into a Design System with the goal of having a single source of truth for identity, principles, best practices, components and patterns.
The rest of the teams inside the company slowly started to build the main components library for their frontend projects, and as we were making progress and finding new scenarios, we added them to the System.
This allowed for all of us to implement them seamlessly, even for the projects that were waiting on the pipeline. The fact that the components were mapped, helped the entire development team to find patterns across apps and the time spent developing the frontend was reduced and optimized.
Before this project, I had the chance to lead teams, mostly Design teams. But I took this opportunity to improve my people management skills, my effective communication with a multidisciplinary team and the client, my project management knowledge and of course, the Design skills.
It was very challenging at the beginning, but we eventually found our pace and adapted to what the client needed from us. We were able to influence their teams with our good practices, our experience developing digital products and to form a friendly business relationship with them. As far as I can tell, they are very happy with how things turned out.
On my side, I did the best that I could each day. I had some flaws along the way, but both the team and the clients were very happy with my work. They continued to work with iTexico and as far as I know, is one of the biggest and best clients that they have.